The Cornerstone of an Effective HR Program
HR Advisors provides a comprehensive service that identifies the role requirements in the organization and develops and designs the job description and concurrent skill requirements for that role. The proper job description for a role in a company allows the organization to properly identify what needs to be done and what type of candidate can perform that role.
|HR Advisors can guide you through the relationship of job descriptions and ADA requirements so that the company is in compliance and not subject to lawsuit. The correct job description will allow the company to properly set the objectives for that role and assure that they are congruent with the objectives and goals of the company. Lastly, the proper job description will allow the employee to understand their role and allow both the company and manager to properly access their performance in that role.|
Fundamentals of Staffing Solutions: Development and Implementation of Job Description
What is a Job Description?
A job description explains the duties and responsibilities of the job itself, not the characteristics of specific individuals performing the job.
What Questions Do Job Descriptions Answer?
- WHAT is being done?
- WHY is it being done?
- HOW is it being done?
- BY WHOM is it being done?
- IS this what the company needs TODAY?
How are Job Descriptions used?
- Communication: Used in discussions between employees and managers – Job Descriptions give a clear understanding of the major duties and responsibilities involved in performing the job.
- Performance Appraisals: Provides the information essential in measuring employee performance against the standards for the job itself.
- Salary Administration: Used in salary structure development and classification of positions (exempt and non-exempt)
- Recruitment and Selection: Used to indicate the knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job successfully.
- Training and Development: Useful in planning an employee’s progress within the company.
What are the Main Parts of a Job Description?
- Job Title: This reflects both the level and the nature of the position
- Payroll Classification: This indicates if the position should be classified as exempt, hourly, non-exempt, or salaried non-exempt.
- Summary: This is a brief statement that explains why the position exists and what must be achieved.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities: What action is being performed? To produce What expected outcome should be? By using What information, procedure, method, etc.
ADA and reasonable accommodation: Denying employment opportunities to an applicant who is a qualified individual with a disability is discrimination if the decision is based on the individual s need for reasonable accommodation. Employers must consider hiring a qualified disabled applicant if he or she can perform the job with “reasonable accommodation”, but only if you will not incur undue hardship.
HR Advisors will work with you in performing the job analysis used to write the job descriptions for each job in your company.
To learn more about how HR Advisors can work with you in the development and implementation of Job Descriptions, CONTACT US.